Friday, August 06, 2010

Let's Face It, Girls...

I just spent the last hour and a half watching make-up tutorials on YouTube.com. I feel fat and ugly today, as most women randomly experience from time to time. I wanted to cheer myself up with some expert tips so that I look like the much more beautifully made up women I'm comparing myself to. However, no matter how hard I run on the treadmill or make healthy food choices or put on some high heels, we all know what really makes us feel the most beautiful...

...looking better than the competition.



Those ninety dollar shoes and that perfectly styled hair is not for the benefit of men. A poll done in 2010 found that 46% of all men thought their women were sexiest with little or no make-up at all. But wearing little or no make-up wouldn't make you feel sexy no matter how often you are reassured otherwise, right? Because let's face it girls, all it will take is one female to walk by you looking more made up in comparison and your self-esteem takes a nose dive. We're putting on our make-up and high heels for each other, ladies... and like they always say: a little healthy competition never hurt anyone.

I'm going to take a moment and own up to a little secret of mine. It's something that of course only means I'm human, but kind of a bitch nonetheless. If you know me, I'm sure you'll admit that I'm normally a laid back and non-judgemental gal, so if this is my only fault, I'm doing pretty good.

I can run three miles on the treadmill, make healthy choices all day, put on sexy lingerie and a beautiful dress, thank my husband when he tells me how good I look and be whistled at by a stranger but nothing, nothing, makes me feel sexier than this one, simple thought:

I'm overwhelmingly, hands down, no contest sexier than my husband's ex.

I know, I know. I'm almost ashamed to admit it and yes, I'm fully aware how petty that statement was. But well, hell, it's true and I'm not going to deny what it does for my self-esteem as a woman. Deep down, doesn't every girl want to know their men finally got it right when they got you?

Don't get me wrong, I feel good knowing that I'm everything my husband wants out of a woman and that I love him enough to be everything he needs more than anyone ever has. I'm not as shallow as to believe that looks even scratch the surface of the foundation that is our love. ...but superficially? Yes, it feels pretty damn good to play the comparison game.

It's important for a woman (regardless of how bitchy it may seem) to feel as though she looks better than the women around her. It's not okay, however, to voice it and be immature and classless about it in a way that hurts anyone's feelings. I mentioned my secret knowing fully well that she doesn't read my blog or even knows it existed because despite my feelings towards her as a human being, she's still a human being somewhere in there and I would never intentionally want her to be hurt by that comment. But, again, it is important for a woman to be motivated to feel good about themselves, regardless if that motivation comes from a not-so-nice kind of place. Confidence is critical to a woman's well-being, there's no denying it. Make sure you feel good about yourself on the inside first, but don't hesitate to go that extra mile to want to look better on the outside than everyone else. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

1 comment:

  1. you know how i feel about this! remember my speech at the church mother/daughter luncheon? hahaha

    ReplyDelete