Friday, September 24, 2010

Beasts of Burden

Today, the dogs are driving me nuts. I've been cleaning up chewed up tennis ball pieces, bathing them after they got abnormally filthy at the dog park, and pulling socks out of sneaky sock thief mouths all day. Worst of all, Killian is acting out because Chris has been gone so long and when she's angry/disoriented/fed up, she pees. And not just sprinkles... PUDDLES. I've only just now gotten everything completely cleaned and everyone to sleep in their dog beds and away from me. All I can do now to not be so frustrated with them, is take a deep breath and look at the big picture of why their furry, no-rent paying asses are still here in the first place...

Now let's see...

In my house growing up, dogs are part of the family. They sleep with us, we take care of them, and we mourn them when they die. We even cremate them just like a real person. Nothing in the world will ever love you like a dog will... NOTHING. So, it was only natural that once Chris and I settled in to our first real place together, we'd get a dog. Thus came...




Killian.

She is the sweetest and smartest dog you'll ever meet. She "hugs" you when you are sad, cocks her head when she's confused, and has the most personality of any other dog I've ever known. She's laid back and never, ever aggressive. She adores Cole and gets as close to him on the couch as possible and watches cartoons. No really, she watches cartoons. I kid you not. No one could ever ask for a better dog.

After Killian turned a year old, I started feeling like my maternity clock was ticking. All women know what I'm talking about. It's as if one day, even though you may not be READY for a baby, a baby is ready for you. I couldn't get them off my mind! It was like being hungry but completely stuffed all at the same time. There's just no more room yet you can't stop wanting it. I started to really re-evaluate things and what our next move should be. And one day, what I needed to do finally hit me.

It was time to re-direct all those maternal instincts so that I could take care of something and feel needed. And then came...



Miles.

Miles is a little ball of energy and a HUGE Mama's boy. Exactly what I needed, right? I was never worried how Killian would take to the puppy since she has such a sweet disposition and I was 100% right. She LOVED the new puppy. So much, in fact, that I'd actually have to peel her off of him sometimes when he would try to sleep. She was a little jealous at first if he got handed a treat before she got hers or if he got let out of his crate before she did. Unfortunately, like I mentioned before, Killian pees to show her dissatisfaction in something. For all the great qualities she has, it was a long couple of weeks to try and see the good in her when we were constantly on our knees soaking up dog piss out of the rug. She has since adjusted (this week aside) to Miles and she doesn't even seem to mind anymore if he grabs his treat first before she gets hers. They play and chase each other all day. I don't know what Killian did before without him.



This week, however, she's had some sort of brain fart on exactly what she should and should not be doing. Like I said, this week has been a nightmare. Miles is teething so he's not just chewing everything, he's DESTROYING everything. He's pulled carpet fibers out of the floor and made little perfect, quarter-size holes. Tennis balls are torn into shrapnel of rubber and neon yellow fuzz and stuffed animals are exploding their innards all over the den. To top it all off, Killian for some strange reason has chose THIS week to be upset at how long Chris has been gone (its the ONLY explanation!) and has decided to reign her wrath of piss puddles everywhere.

Now, if you are thinking they may just be accidents, I assure you, they aren't. Killian is crate trained and is known to have a bladder that lasts upwards of 12 hours during long work days. She's also been potty trained since she was 10 weeks old. She has never, ever had an "accident". Of course we thought that at first when it started after we got Miles, but no, the vet said it's jealousy marking and they do it when they are mad. They get pissed off, your rug gets pissed on. And that's exactly what she's been doing. She's not trying to hide it from me either. She looks me dead in the eye, cops a squat, and runs away knowing full and damn well she's in trouble.

However, reminding myself of all the wonderful things about these beasts are actually making me feel better. I'm looking at Killian right now, curled up and looking back at me from her crate as if to say "sorry about the rug, dude, I'm just not happy at the moment" and Miles curled up fast asleep next to the guinea pig cage. No amount of pissy rugs or fuzz clogging up my vaccuum would make me forget that they are part of the family. The 2 hours it took me to clean is nothing compared to the countless hours curled up to me at night, growling quietly under her breath when she hears a disturbance. The love and security and overall compassion that these crazy mongrels have for us could never be replaced and will never be discarded. Nope, for better or worse, I'm stuck with them. My little beasts of burden.


No comments:

Post a Comment